Thursday 4 August 2011

The Mountrath Residency, Co. Laois

I started this residency on the first week of April 2011. Since moving into the studio and flat I've been quite busy. About two weeks after moving in I started assisting Vera McEvoy with the Culture Bug adult art workshops in the Arthouse, Stradbally Co. Laois. These ran up until the end of June where they concluded with an exhibition in the Arthouse Gallery. The Summer Arts Programme ran for the month of July. This involved art workshops for children. From the 11th of July to 15th I was back out in Stradbally assisting Vera  and from the 25th to 29th I was in St. Francis School, Portlaoise, with Conor Brennan and Debbie O'Reilly.

In terms of Exhibitions I have been fairly busy too. Since the 1st of July I have exhibited in Galway Arts Centre and a vacant building in Mountrath. This was a pretty big show personally because it was my first experience curating a group show and it went very well. It consisted of 10 Laois based artists and was opened by Assistant Laois Arts Officer Bridie Keenan. I'll be putting up more information and documentation at a later point. Upcoming shows include a group show in the Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise, my first solo-exhibition in Leixlip Library Gallery, Leixlip, Co. Kildare, another group exhibition in Galway, a piece in the Darklight Festival in Dublin (13th of November, just a quick update to this section. This exhibition at Galway Arts Centre didn't go ahead after, when I originally published this post the exhibition itself was only in the proposal stages and I was asked to show some work in it alongside some Galway artists but for reasons I don't know it never went through, and the Dublin show didn't go ahead either as there was a mix up with funding and the gallery who was running the exhibition.)   and then myself and the 4 artists in Stradbally are collaborating on a light installation for the Electric Picnic.

After that I want to concentrate on my studio work for a while because I have been so busy with other bits and pieces that the studio came to a stand still around the 1st of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment